Happy 2017 to you! It’s the second half of the first month of the new year. You’re either sticking to your resolutions or you’re sneakily slacking out.
This year I resolved to quit sugar. My plan was foolproof – start by having lesser dessert and fewer cocktails. My determination and discipline would eventually result in cutting it all out.Forever. And then I would give this website to a healthy-vegan-celery-sucking kinda hot person who has Ryan Gosling on her speed dial.
Needless to say, I’ve failed and all is doomed. Already.
And in that spirit, I think it’s time to drink.
We should reward ourselves for trying to stick to resolutions. It’s the thought that counts right?
So I have two words for you – Gratification. Instant.
Now I have two more words for you: Daiquiri. Avocado.
Ok that’s three words. Am not drunk already, really.
Our friendly neighbourhood dictionary defines Daiquiri as a cocktail of rum, lime juice and sugar with sometimes the addition of fruit. And that’s where we bring in the health fruit-vegetable of 2016!
Try googling Avocado. I dare you. Your browser will be stuffed with vegan-vegetarian-celery-sucking fruit voodoo which will convince you of the magic, youth restoring, superman properties of this green cud who’s seed will challenge your manhood or your man’s hood. Just kidding.
It does however benefit your health greatly. If you can invest almost Rs.400 on a piece (approx $5) and power through its ripening tantrums, then I think you’re going to win 2017 and also, you’re ready to be a parent! Cheers to you.
I find Avocado Daiquiri to be a curious beast. While the fruit itself has no flavour, it imparts a sensual creaminess to the cocktail. It’s like drinking a cloud. A lemony cloud. So taking great inspiration from a pretty gimmicky drink, I decided to convert the last of my avocados into a drink-dessert (fruit comes all the way from New Zealand btw, thanks to a certain member of the family who is much like me)
This Pie is full flavour and love. It’s what you’d make for your grandchildren on their 18th birthday. Cause it’s kinda healthy and kinda not. Rich avocado with a generous amount of white chocolate, lime and orange. And of course copious amounts of Rum. Luscious and creamy is the forecast for your year.
Avocado Lime Daiquiri Pie
For the Crust
- Digestive Biscuits – 100gms
- White Butter, melted – 3 tbsp
For the Filling
- Avocados – 2
- White Chocolate, finely chopped- 150 gms
- White Rum – 4 tbsp (I used Bacardi)
- Lime Zest & Juice of 1 Lime
- Orange Zest – 1tsp
- Vanilla Extract – 1tsp
For the Daiquiri Cream
- Heavy Cream – 1/2 cup
- Icing Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Rum – 2 tsp
- Lime Zest and mint leaves to garnish
- Pre-heat the oven for 15 mins at 170 degrees Celsius. Blitz the cookies in a processor until they’re finely ground. Mix in the melted butter until well combined. Press this down into an 8inch tart mould and bake for 10 mins until it’s golden brown.
- Over a double boiler, melt the white chocolate till it’s smooth and free of lumps.
- In a food processor, use a spoon and remove the flesh of the avocados. Blitz for about a minute until it’s mashed together. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse till it becomes a homogenous mix. Taste the filling at this point and add a little icing sugar if you like it sweeter.
- Tip the avocado mixture into the baked crust and refrigerate for atleast 3 hours (or overnight)
- Whip the cream till it reaches soft peaks. Slowly add sifted icing sugar and continue whipping till its well incorporated. Drizzle in the rum and continue to whip till the liquid disappears. Pipe or pile the cream onto the pie and garnish with lime zest and mint leaves. Enjoy!
I can’t think of a better way to ring in the new year. Here’s wishing you a boozy one.
All Images by Ishita Thakur