Hello my Crumpets, how have you been?
It’s been a while since I barged into your inbox or blew up on your social media. All thanks to the last few weeks of working, travelling, making ambitious timelines and budgets. Things you gotta do to earn the butter. So I smile, eat humble toast and go to work.
The good bit is of-course, the travelling. And the eating. I had an amazing shoot schedule down south of the country and relived long lost memories from when I was a teenager. I am happy to report that I can still pound a half kilo ice cream sundae and chug down a brewski with panache. High Five to my nineteen year old self .
Take a look at some of the action.
But let’s talk about you. I hope you’re enjoying your extended summer. And for those of you lucky enough to live in Indian metros that have not stopped raining since, well, Kim K’s first reality show, I hope you’re paddling your way through. And I most definitely hope, you’re not stuck in 6pm traffic with a dozen broken traffic lights that will invariably cause a big short circuit in your head.
On the brighter side, this season (while confusing) has perhaps the best offering of seasonal fruit in the entire year. Am not just talking delicious mangoes or sweet pineapples, am talking big league stuff. Ginormous pears, ruby plums and oh my, the watermelons. Big slurpy red on green fruit, begging to juice things up. You just know they like it dirty.
I can’t get enough of these guys. Am drinking juice in the mornings, mojitos in the evenings and watermelon-feta salad in between. Am even considering pickling the rind, how about that?
And cause I still don’t think am getting all the melon action I want (yes I said that) am taking it a step beyond the usual.
Watermelon Sangria. Inside a Watermelon.
Yes, it’s epic.
Yes, it’s delicious and
No, it’s easier than skinning the melon
The best part? It’s a single person’s drink. So you won’t have to share it with another human being. Ever.
- 1 small watermelon
- 30ml White Rum
- 1 cup White Wine of your choice
- Juice of half an orange
- Juice of 1 lime
- Saw the top quarter of the watermelon. Now scoop out the flesh using a melon baller or a knife and remove all the flesh. Reserve some melon balls for garnish
- Blend the watermelon pieces and strain the juice
- Into the watermelon add 90ml of watermelon juice, white rum, wine, orange and lime juice. Stir and garnish with a few melon balls, some mint and any other fancy ass additions.
- I would recommend chilling all the ingredients before using them. Optionally, you could make the sangria into a bowl and chill it for a few hours. Serve into the melon just before serving
Happy Mid – Week drinking to you!
All Images & Video by Ishita Thakur
Music courtesy American Authors & Just a Gent